Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Photo of women having passport checked by customs officerPhoto of women having passport checked by customs officer

Jersey customs and immigration

Jersey is a Crown Dependency, which is a territory under the sovereignty of the British Crown. The island is part of the Channel Islands but is not part of the UK.

Border control

Jersey is part of the Common Travel Area, along with the other Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, Republic of Ireland and the UK.

There are no queued immigration controls when arriving in Jersey’s airport and ports, compared to other countries. There are customs and immigration officers, who can freely check anyone coming through. You should bring photo ID as customs and immigration officers, police officers or airlines and ferry companies will ask to see it.

Anyone arriving in the island from outside the Common Travel Area will need to show their passport or identity card with visas. 

Find out more information about travelling to Jersey.


As long as you’re legally in the UK and travelling according to your immigration permissions, you and your family won’t need a separate visa to travel to Jersey.

If you're moving to Jersey from outside the Common Travel Area, you’ll need a valid visa on arrival.

Moving to Jersey: Apply for a visa

Embassies and consulates

We have no embassies in the island. You would need to travel to your embassy in London if you need their services, including replacing a passport or renewing a visa.

There are a number of Consulates in Jersey. Consulates are lower level diplomatic representatives of office.

Work permits

British and Irish citizens don’t need a work permit to work in Jersey.

Everyone else will require a work permit which has to be applied for by your prospective employer.

Moving your belongings to Jersey

If you're moving to Jersey, there are restrictions and costs to importing your belongings. The cost of moving will depend on how you choose to transport your belongings. You can do this through either air freight or a shipping company. Air freight is quicker, but costs more. You must declare any household goods you're bringing with you to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service (JCIS).

Moving to Jersey: Pay your customs and import duties

Bringing your pets

If you want to bring your pet(s) to Jersey, There are no official requirements for pet dogs, cats or ferrets travelling between Jersey and:

  • the UK (including Northern Ireland)
  • the Isle of Man
  • other Channel Islands

No vaccinations are needed, but you should discuss your pet's health with your vet, as your pet must be fit to travel and properly cared for.

Pets may travel with any airline or ferry operator that agrees to carry your pet.

If travelling on a private plane or boat, you must not visit a foreign port en route.

Find more information on travelling between Jersey and the British Isles with pets.

If you want to bring your pet(s) from outside the British Isles, you’ll need to contact the States Veterinary Department as soon as possible.

The process of bringing an animal into the island can take several weeks or even months. You can bring most pets into Jersey as long as they meet the rules of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS). This scheme is for owners to take their pets travelling with them or to move to Jersey from another member state. If travelling from the EU, your vet will issue a pet passport.

Travelling with animals

Prohibited / illegal items

The following items are prohibited in Jersey:

  • illegal drugs
  • indecent and obscene material

Restricted items

You can’t bring some goods into Jersey without a valid licence or permit. These restricted items include:

  • liquid milk
  • endangered animals and goods made or taken from them
  • firearms, ammunition, accessories and other weapons
  • explosives and fire works
  • chemicals for making weapons
  • flick knives, gravity knives and CS gas sprays

Find out more information on imports and exports and bringing restricted items in Jersey.

Back to top
rating button