Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Shops in St HelierShops in St Helier

The controls on importing and exporting goods depend on where the goods are coming from and going to and the products being imported or exported

Importing goods

As a trader you must declare your imports with Customs, pay Goods and Services Tax (GST) and any duties or tariffs applicable.

Read the trader guidance on importing goods from the Customs Union (UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man) and the European Union (EU) and rest of the world. Visit customs traders and agents.

If you regularly import goods you can apply to become a Customs approved trader. This means that your goods get quicker Customs clearance. Visit customs approved traders for more details, how you pay your GST and to apply for approved status.

Excise duty is payable to Jersey Customs and Immigration Service on the importation or production of:

  • spirits
  • wines
  • beer
  • cider
  • tobacco
  • hydrocarbon oils

Find out the traders' excise rates and quarterly excise duty statistics.

Visit importing and exporting on Jersey Business website for a 10-step guide to Jersey’s trading rules.

Restricted and prohibited goods

You cannot bring some goods into Jersey without a valid licence or permit. Some goods are prohibited to import.

Bringing restricted items to Jersey

Food products of animal origin (POAO)

If you're importing food products of animal origin (POAO) from the EU you must comply with strict procedures. For the list of products this includes and documents you need visit importation of POAO from the EU.

If you import from outside the EU look at the regulations for importing animal products into Jersey from outside the EU.

Your business must also be able to demonstrate traceability for any food product you receive from a supplier.

Imported food (ports)

Exporting goods 

If you export goods to the UK you can pre-pay VAT on exported goods sent by post from Jersey. the UK government charges Value Added tax (VAT) on goods exported from Jersey to the UK.

If you're exporting goods outside of the UK you should find out about declaring third country exports.

Visit exporting on Jersey Business website for a 5-step guide on selling your products or services outside Jersey.

Restricted and prohibited goods

There are regulations and restrictions on the type of goods you can export from Jersey. Some goods cannot be exported from Jersey. Find more details on the regulations on exporting or shipping goods.

Animals imports and exports

Regulations on imports and exports of animals depend on the type of animal and if they are:

  • pets
  • livestock (farm animals)
  • endangered or exotic

Animal semen (germplasm) is also regulated.

Commercial pet movements to Jersey from the EU or the rest of the world

Importing and exporting livestock 

If you want to trade endangered animals or their products, you may need a permit or certificate. See the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES).

Back to top
rating button