Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Employees arriving at building siteEmployees arriving at building site

On this page:


There are regulations and controls in place if you're growing or farming, including:

  • control of agricultural land
  • pesticide use
  • preventing water pollution
  • imports of plants and plant products

Find the latest advice and guidance on farming and the environment or plants, produce and land control.

There may be support and funding available depending on your business and circumstances.

Farming on agricultural land

If you wish to farm on agricultural land you need to apply for an Approved Agricultural Business status. Your application must be made to the Rural and Marine Economy team and include a business plan and details of the land you propose to farm on. For more information and to apply, email All Rural Economy.

Cannabis cultivation

There are a range of requirements that must be met in order to cultivate medicinal cannabis in Jersey including a licence issued under the Misuse of Drugs (Jersey) Law 1978.

Email Rural Economy for an initial discussion.

Animals, pets and livestock

Veterinary surgeons

If you're a veterinary surgeon you must register with the Judicial Greffe. Contact the Judicial Greffe to request your application form or receive further information.

If you're authorised to practice as a veterinary surgeon in the UK, you're eligible for recognition in Jersey.


You need to hold an animal welfare licence if your business:

  • breeds animals 
  • provides boarding facilities for animals (kennels, catteries) 
  • grooms animals 
  • sells animals as pets 
  • uses animals for performance or exhibition 
  • provides an animal sanctuary 

Find more on how you can apply for an animal welfare licence.


If your business involves keeping livestock (including fish and bees) you must email the Animal and Welfare team to receive the appropriate regulatory advice

Learn more on livestock movements and regulations, including the abattoir or knacker's yard services.

Other activities related to animals or animal products

Email the States Veterinary Officer to receive the appropriate regulatory advice if your business:

  • imports or exports:
    • live animals
    • animal products
    • animal feed
  • imports or exports animal by-products
  • imports, exports or sales veterinary medicines
  • imports or exports semen (germplasm)
  • imports, exports or produces food for consumption by animals, including pet food


Before you can practice as an architect in Jersey you must register with the Judicial Greffe. Contact the Judicial Greffe to request your application form or receive further information.


As a construction business you must comply with the Management in Construction (Jersey) Regulations 2016. This includes a requirement to notify the Health and Safety Inspectorate (HSI) about major construction projects.

To help your construction business work safely there are:

  • regulations
  • approved codes of practice (including working with asbestos)
  • guidance

These are available in our health and safety at work: the law section.

Planning and Building control permissions may be required. Find out more on planning and building.

There are controls in place to prevent noise and vibration nuisance affecting neighbouring property. Find more details on construction site noise and nuisances, including the legislation and guidance.

As highway authorities, the government and the parishes charge a fee for road work and scaffolding permits.

Road work and scaffolding permit charges


Accredited nannies

The Jersey Child Care Trust runs the accreditation scheme if you want to become an accredited nanny. 

Visit the Jersey Child Care Trust website for more information.

Childcare settings

You may need to register as a childcare provider if you care for children from birth to 12 years old. This includes: 

  • nurseries
  • childminders
  • before or afterschool clubs
  • activity or holiday clubs

There are exceptions depending on your business circumstances.

To become registered, you need to meet statutory requirements specific to the age group of the children you care for.

Find more information, including how to register as a childcare provider, at child care information.

Cosmetic services

Laser premises

You must register with the Jersey Care Commission if you use lasers intended for cosmetic purposes. Email Jersey Care Commission to receive guidance and discuss the registration process or call +44 (0) 01534 445801.

Tattoo artists and body piercers

You need to register with the Jersey Care Commission if you:

  • are a tattooing or piercing practitioner
  • have tattooing or piercing premises

You must comply with the piercing and tattooing approved code of practice.

Find registration and guidance on the Jersey Care Commission website.

Finance industry

You must check if you need a specific licence to carry out your business activity in Jersey. Visit the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) website to see if your activity is regulated.

Find additional guidance and legislation relevant to the specific area of your business in our finance industry section.

Fishing and aquaculture

Below are the most common requirements. However, we recommend that you contact Marine Resources to receive all the advice you need or if your activity is not listed.

Learn more on fishing regulations, including minimal size restrictions, catch limits and marking of gear.

Fishing boats

Your boat must hold a Jersey Fishing Boat licence to fish commercially in the Jersey Territorial Sea or operate as a chartered fishing vessel.

Apply for a fishing boats licensing or find more information.

Scallop diving

You need a valid scallop diving permit if you want to dive for scallops.

Visit scallop diving for more information including legal scallop sizes, restricted diving areas and how to apply.

Exporting fish to the EU

Regulations for fish exports to the EU depend on the way your catch arrives in the EU and the type of fish.

Your catch is considered a direct landing if it:

  • does not leave the vessel it was caught on at any point
  • is taken directly to the EU

See direct landing of fish to the EU from 1 January 2021 for more information.

If your catch arrives in the EU as a shipment on a ferry or other commercial carrier, you need to meet different requirements. Find out more on exporting fish to the EU from 1 January 2021.

Fish and shellfish farming

Contact Marine Resources to discuss your business plan and desired farming site. They can:

  • advise you of site availability
  • provide guidance on the requirement for a business plan
  • explain the application process including the:
  • requirement for environmental impact assessments
  • planning permission
  • permission for seed import and export

Fish and shellfish farming

Food and drinks

Selling food and drinks

If your business sells food or drinks for consumption on site or take away, there're 2 separate licences you need:

  • Places of Refreshment licence
  • be registered as a food premises (Eat Safe)

There are exceptions depending on your type of business and circumstances.

See if you need a licence on food and drink premises, including fees and how to apply.

Selling alcohol

You must have a liquor licence if you sell alcohol.

You can apply for a licence if you're either:

  • an individual
  • a limited liability company
  • a club
  • an association

There are different types of liquor licences depending on your business.

You can apply for a licence at any time. However, the Licensing Assembly only meets 4 times a year to discuss applications and grant licences.

Learn more about liquor licences, including types, fees, application deadlines and how to apply. We recommend reading this page carefully and ensuring you are aware of the timescales to help you plan the opening of your business.

Mobile catering

If you're mobile catering, you will need to receive permission from the landowner to trade on their property. If the land is:

Any significant change of land use from its current use is likely to require planning permission. This area of the law is complex so we recommend that you contact Planning and Building Services for advice. Learn more on change of commercial use (permissions).

Gambling services

The Jersey Gambling Commission (JGC) regulates and issues licences for all types of gambling in Jersey.

Contact the JGC first to discuss your prospective gambling business.

You must have a conditional approval of your licence under the JGC before you can apply for a business licence.

Visit Jersey Gambling Commission to find out more.

Healthcare services

Most healthcare services and practitioners need to be registered before they can practice in Jersey.

Jersey Care Commission largely regulates healthcare services in Jersey. Other healthcare services are regulated directly by the government.

If your type of services is not listed below email the Jersey Care Commission for advice or call +44 (0) 01534 445801.

Care services

You need to register with the Jersey Care Commission if you're:

  • a care home
  • an adult day centre
  • a home care services

Your care service must have a registered person (a provider) and a manager. Your care staff employees do not need to be registered unless they are registered professionals. For example, nurses or occupational therapists.

Find out more on registration and guidance on the Jersey Care Commission website, including the legislations and policies.

Once you're registered you can become an approved care provider. This means you can receive long-term care funding for eligible clients. They can either live in their own home or in your care home. Email Long Term Care to find out more and register. You'll need to provide your Jersey Care Commission registration certificate.

About the long-term care scheme

Individual carers

You need to register as an individual carer with the Jersey Care Commission if you:

  • provide care in someone's home
  • receive payment for the care you provide
  • are not employed by a Home Care service

Find registration and guidance on the Jersey Care Commission website.


As a doctor or general practitioner (GP) you must be registered as a medical practitioner with the Jersey Care Commission before you can start practicing. Regardless of whether it’s on a long term, short term or locum work basis.

Find more details on registering as a doctor or general practitioner.


If you're a dentist you must register with the Judicial Greffe. Contact the Judicial Greffe to request your application form or receive further information.

Once you're registered you can become a provider on the Pension Plus scheme. This means that lower-income pensioners can claim for financial support for the costs of your services. Email Pension Plus Team or call +44 (0) 1534 444444 to find out more and register.

About the Pension Plus scheme

Dental care professionals

You need to register with Jersey Care Commission if you're a:

  • dental technician
  • dental hygienist
  • dental nurse
  • dental technician
  • dental therapist
  • orthodontic therapist

Find registration and guidance on the Jersey Care Commission website.


If you're an optometrist or dispensing optician you must register with the Judicial Greffe. Contact the Judicial Greffe to request your application form or receive further information.

Your premises need to be registered with the Jersey Care Commission. Email Jersey Care Commission to receive guidance and discuss the registration process or call +44 (0) 01534 445801.

Once you're registered you can become a provider on the Pension Plus scheme. This means that lower-income pensioners can claim for financial support for the costs of your services. Email Pension Plus Team or call +44 (0) 1534 444444 to find out more and register.

About the Pension Plus scheme

Pharmacists and chemists

You must be registered with Jersey's Chief Pharmacist to:

  • work as a pharmacist
  • work as a pharmacy technician
  • trade as a pharmacy premise

Find more information on registering as a pharmacist,  registering as a pharmacy technician or registering pharmacy premises, including how to apply and fees.

Holiday accommodation

Your property must be registered as tourist accommodation if it's used as either a:

  • hotel
  • guesthouse
  • self-catering unit
  • campsite

We must inspect your property before you can register.

If you're changing the use of a building to provide holiday accommodation you must have approval from Planning and Building Control.

Find more information on registration of holiday accommodation, including how to arrange for an inspection, registering and fees.

Property sales and letting businesses

If you sell or let properties, your consumers are protected under the Consumer Protection (Unfair Practices) (Jersey) Law 2018. This includes if you're:

  • a traditional high street estate agent providing a wide range of services
  • a business providing limited services. For example, introducing potential buyers and sellers to enable them to exchange contact details
  • supplying services related to letting of privately owned residential property as part of your business

Find more details and guidance on Estate Agents, Letting Agents and property sales.

Public Events and entertainment

Find out the types of public event that need permission and how to apply for a public entertainment licence at organising public events.


Retail is the sale of any goods to the public including, for example:

  • supermarkets
  • groceries stores
  • clothes shops
  • electrical stores

See trade and sell for regulations and guidance.

If your business sells alcohol, see food and drinks for information on liquor licences.

Road works (including events on the road)

The Road Works and Events (Jersey) Law 2016 outlines the control and management of road works. It sets responsibilities for anyone carrying out road works to:

  • promote good traffic movement
  • minimise inconvenience
  • ensure safety

There's a code of practice for working safely on the roads. You can find out more about the law, training and qualifications on safety and training standards for road works.

As highway authorities, the government and the parishes charge a fee for road work and scaffolding permits.

Road work and scaffolding permit charges

There are standards and guidance you should consider before making a planning application. You must also follow processes when working on or adjacent to the highway.

Standards and guidance for access onto the highway

Building control permissions may be required for building work. Find out more about planning and building.

Events on the road

If you're planning an event on the road you need to inform the relevant authority. This could be Infrastructure Housing and Environment (IHE) or the local Parish, depending on who owns the road. Major events will need consultation, notification and planning.

Minimum recommended notice periods for events on the road

Type of road
Notice period
Parish by-road4 weeks
Quiet main road (C route)
6 weeks
Busy main road (B route)3 months
Critical main road (A route)6 months
Other open public places (including beaches)
4 weeks

The authority will then let you know if you need to:

  • apply for an event licence
  • complete an event plan
  • have a risk assessment or stakeholder assessment checklist

They will advise on any traffic changes your event may need and safety arrangements you should put in place.

There is no charge to hold your event on the road however you may need to pay a minimum public liability insurance. You may also be charged for any costs incurred if your event needs support from the Police, or the highway authority, and use of their safety equipment. For example, barriers and signage.

Infrastructure Housing and Environment (IHE) contact details

Parishes on the Comité Des Connétables website

Email Road Works and Events or call +44 (0) 1534 445533 

Find more information on organising public events.

Transport services

Transport businesses are regulated by Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS).

It's illegal to drive any motor vehicle used to carry passengers for hire or reward unless you hold a valid Public Service Vehicle (PSV) badge.

To get your PSV badge you need to meet a list of criteria. This includes if you want to drive:

  • taxis
  • cabs
  • coaches
  • buses

You must have your PSV badge before you can apply for your business licence.

Find out more on applying to drive a coach, bus, cab or taxi, including criteria and fees.

If you operate vehicles weighing over 3500kg or minibuses then visit vehicle inspections or contact DVS, as they may require annual roadworthiness inspections. 

Operators of commercial goods vehicles over 3500kg will require an operator's licence. For more information go to commercial vehicle operator licence scheme.

If you are involved in the import of vehicles, contact DVS to find out about applying for a trade licence to use trade plates on unregistered vehicles. Go to traders importing goods to find out about vehicle emission duty and registering as a customs approved trader.

Waste management

You need a waste management licence if you're storing, handling, recovering or disposing of waste. Find out more waste management and licencing, including activities that are exempt and fees.

If you carry hazardous or healthcare waste in a vehicle on the road you need to be registered as a waste carrier with the Infrastructure, Housing and Environment Department.

Waste carrier registration

Back to top
rating button