Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Get your passport application and photo signed by someone (Countersignatory)

When you need someone else to sign your form and photo

Passport application forms and photos need to be signed by someone else (the 'countersignatory) to prove your identity.

You must get your form and one of your photo's signed to apply for a:

What the countersignatory needs to do

After you've filled in the form, your countersignatory must check the details are correct and sign it. 

By signing it they are confirming that: 

  • they have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • you're who you claim to be
Your countersignatory must put their passport number on the form.

What your countersignatory must write on your photo

Your countersignatory should write the following on the back of one photo:

  • 'I certify that this is a true likeness of (title and full name of adult or child who is getting the passport).

They must add their signature and the date under the statement.

Who can sign your form and photo

Your countersignatory must:

  • be over 18
  • hold a current British passport
  • have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
  • live in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man
  • be 'a person of good standing in their community' or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

Who cannot be your countersignatory

You cannot ask someone to countersign your passport if you're: 

  • related to them by birth or marriage
  • be in a personal relationship with you or any other family member
  • live at the same address as you

Accepted occupations for countersignatories

Your countersignatory must either:

  • work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
  • be 'a person of good standing in their community'

Recognised professions

Example of recognised professions include:

  • accountant
  • advocate
  • airline pilot
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank manager
  • chairman / director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • civil servant
  • dentist
  • engineer (with professional qualifications)
  • financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker) 
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • justice of the Peace
  • lawyer
  • legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PA’s) 
  • licensee of public house
  • local States member 
  • manager / personnel officer (of a limited company) 
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body 
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
  • notary public 
  • nurse (RGN and RMN)
  • officer of the armed services (active or retired)
  • optician 
  • paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals) 
  • parish official
  • person with honours (eg an OBE or MBE)
  • pharmacist 
  • photographer (professional) 
  • police officer (including Honorary Police)
  • Salvation Army officer 
  • social worker
  • solicitor 
  • surveyor 
  • teacher / lecturer 
  • trade union officer 
  • travel agent (qualified)
  • valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
  • Warrant Officer and Chief Petty Officer
Back to top
rating button